Healthy mindset about food and exercise

By: Noah, 3rd year, Crim; Angélique, 2nd year, Biochem; Amani, 2nd year HSS ; Xavier, 3rd year, HK; Shaliz, 2nd year, HK

Have you noticed that you have been stress eating more now that we are in quarantine? When you feel stress, do you gravitate towards food to feel relieved? If you answered yes to either of these questions, this blog is for you! We’ll share tips that may help lead to a healthy mindset about food and exercise!

I often find myself feeling as though I’m always hungry even though I just ate. It’s important to listen to your body cues to determine what your body really needs. It could be that your body is in need of water and you’re simply mixing your hunger and thirst cues. Also, I often think that I am hungry but then I realize that I’m just bored and trying to find something to keep myself busy. Your hunger cues can also be an indicator that you need to take a break to redirect the energy onto something else. It’s important that you do not restrict yourself from eating but rather to take a step back and reflect on what is making you feel hungry.

To prevent stress eating, I like to create meals with portions and ingredients that are tailored to my preference. Add your own twist to adapt your recipe to your liking. For example, eating filling, protein-filled foods, with your favorite spread or fruit on the side!

During stressful times whether it’s exam season or even just school all around, it’s easy to lose ourselves in how much we eat, given that food seems to be one of the things that can bring us joy/relief in these difficult times. However, with a workout schedule and physical activity, you can switch from food to exercise in those times of stress!

Personally, when I’m stressed I always acknowledge what I’m stressed about. This could be an assignment I'm working on or even a conflict with a friend. Since my thoughts are preoccupied with that particular stressor, I know that I won’t be effective in completing a task or doing anything else for that matter without a clear head space. Thus, I always opt to take a break, distract myself with something to clear my mind. My go-to’s include listening to music and doing a quick workout to improve my overall mood.

Eating well is important because it helps improve your energy levels and mood. I choose to eat healthy because it makes me feel better and more active to be in the right mindset to accomplish all of my responsibilities! At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself, “why should I work out and eat healthy?” It’s about YOU; to take care of yourself and FEEL YOUR BEST.