Mindful Eating: healthy, positive changes to your eating habits



Mindfulness, the practice of being present and attentive at a given moment to live life more purposefully, has recently become very popular. From meditation to everyday activities, like exercise, laundry or eating, techniques to develop mindfulness have been implemented to improve overall well-being. 

Mindful eating specifically refers to being present and conscious of the sensual experience of the food being consumed, while reflecting on the attitudes and motivations underlying our eating habits. The practice of mindful eating has been endorsed by several professionals, and in fact, the Canadian Food Guide recognizes that “[h]ealthy eating is more than just the foods you eat” and recommends mindful eating as a way to realize that. 

Why should we be mindful while we eat?

There are many benefits to practicing mindfulness while eating. Not only can being present during the moment have a calming, relaxing effect, doing so while eating can lead to a more pleasant eating experience. Noticing the distinct flavors and textures of the food being consumed can allow you to savour and truly enjoy the meal. This can contribute to the development of positive, healthy attitudes with respect to food. 

Furthermore, being conscious of your eating habits and behaviours provides the opportunity to consider the consequences of these habits on your overall health. By asking yourself questions like “what and why am I eating?”, you can identify any unhealthy choices or behaviours and reflect on what changes you can make to lead a healthier lifestyle.

It is important to realize that mindful eating is NOT about dieting - instead of restricting your food, you would instead be relishing and appreciating it. However, because it can lead to healthier choices, it can contribute to a healthy lifestyle which may include some weight loss.  

How can I start practicing mindful eating? 

Before a meal:

Mindful eating starts before you take your first bite. The first steps of the journey begin at the grocery store. Taking your time in the grocery store and paying attention to what you purchase encourages you to make healthier choices and can limit impulse buying. Listening to your hunger cues is also important and will let your body know when it is the appropriate time to eat. Remember, you should eat when you have an appetite and make sure that you don’t wait until you are overly hungry to start eating!

Here are some questions you can ask yourself at the grocery store or before a meal to guide you when practicing mindful eating: 
  • Am I buying this item because I need it or am I impulse buying?
  • Where is the food that I am eating or buying coming from?
  • Do I want to eat because I’m bored, am I emotional eating or do I want to eat because I am hungry?

During a meal:

As we now know, mindful eating is more than the food we eat, it is also about the experiences we have and the emotions we feel while eating our meals. Mindful eating is all about being in the present moment. To be fully present, it is important to turn off distractions (for example a TV) and to focus on what is right in front of you: food and other people (if they are present). 

When eating a meal, here are some things you can question:
  • What is the smell, texture and taste present in the food?
  • Is this meal making me happy? Do I like the different tastes in my dish?
  • What are some of the spices and ingredients I can taste?
  • Am I taking the time to take small bites and chew slowly or am I eating too fast?
  • Am I paying attention to others around me or am I distracted?

After a meal: 

Mindful eating doesn’t have to end with your meal, and in fact, reflecting on your experience after your meal is a great way to consider your motivations and eating habits. This is the perfect time to identify unhealthy attitudes and behaviors, which is always the first step to making positive changes. 

Here are some ways to get started on practicing mindfulness after your meal: 
  • Think of your last meal or snack. How long ago was it? What did you eat? Why did you eat? Did you eat in an appropriate space? 
  • Try to recall some of the details you made note of during your eating experience. What were the different smells, textures and tastes? How did you feel while eating? Did you enjoy the meal? 
  • Spend some time to reflect on your eating habits and choices. Have I mostly been eating when I feel hungry or have my emotions been dictating when I eat? Do I enjoy my meals? Do I eat too quickly or am I taking my time? Have I been getting hungry quickly too often? Does this have anything to do with my eating choices and habits?

Being able to answer these questions effectively means that you were likely mindful while you were eating. Don’t worry too much if you can’t recall everything on your first try though - practice makes perfect!