uOttawa student's experience with smoking

uOttawa student's experience with smoking

Leave The Pack Behind (LTPB) is a tobacco control program that offers young adults smoking and quitting information, personalized support, and quitting resources – all for free! It is funded by the government of Ontario.

A student on campus at the University of Ottawa has offered their own smoking story and may give you a different perspective on how, as a society, we view smokers.
“Like most smokers, I did not start smoking because I enjoyed it, but rather, for social reasons. Now, although the social aspect still plays a significant role in the act of lighting a cigarette, I actually do enjoy it, but more precisely, I need it. It has become a routine and for me, an "enjoyable" 5 minute break. I am often thinking of quitting, but I don't want to right now- although maybe, the addiction makes it seem this way. I am attempting to reduce my smoking by trying alternatives methods (e.g.: e-cig, patches), but it seems like I can't fully substitute this habit. I still believe that I will stop someday, however I personally feel attacked and stigmatized just because I smoke. People should stop thinking of smokers as bad persons or criminals. We are aware of what we are doing (and of the consequences) and able to make our own decisions.”
A.L.
               What we can take away from this story is that maybe the way we approach smokers, as a society, may be too aggressive. We need to be thoughtful and keep in mind that it is or can be an “addiction” and the enormous toll it has on people. We should not stigmatize smoker, but rather focus our energy on providing them with resources and offer them a better quitting experience.